Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Paris

Paris was certainly an interesting and memorable trip. It did not start out the best, but it improved towards the end. Here is my adventure in Paris!

Our day started in Liverpool with us missing our 9:30 train to Manchester Airport.  We had to wait for the 10:15 train. The thing is, the trip from Liverpool to Manchester is one hour with additional time needed to get into the airport. So, we arrived at the airport at 11:30 and the gate for our flight was scheduled to close at 12:10. Security took a long time.  It was 12:10 when we got through security.  We were all worried that we had missed our plane.  Thankfully, our flight time was pushed back 30 minutes and we were okay.

Our flight landed safely in Paris, but we did not see any of the famous things you expect to see when you fly into Paris. This is because we had booked our flight into Paris Beauvais Airport.  Paris Beauvais is 65 miles outside of the city. Our journey continued as we had to take a one hour bus ride into the city. Once we arrived in the city, we had to take three different subways to get to our hostel. We finally arrived at our hostel. To be honest, it was not located in a good area.  We found out from one of the officers at the train station that we were in one of the roughest parts of Paris and we should get out if we could.  The only enjoyable thing about our hostel was being greeted at the door by the nicest asian lady dressed in flannel kitty pajamas, high socks, and croc sandals.

We left the hostel and went into the city to grab some dinner.  For dinner our first night in Paris, we had our first American meal in 5 weeks at McDonald's. It was the only thing open, was a lot more expensive than back home, but it was so good.  When we returned to the hostel, we all skyped or texted our parents.  We told them what was going on with the hostel and they all suggested we try to get a hotel the next day.

The next day, we woke up and got the heck out of  where we were. Sadly, we were not able to get a room for 6 people.  We were able to divide up into twos and split three rooms. It was a little more money than I wanted to pay, but it was better than the hostel from the night before. After we got to our hotel rooms, we headed off to see the sites! Our first stop was Norte Dame Cathedral. This was one of my favorite places to see in Paris because it was so beautiful and was amazing to see in real life. After Norte Dame, we stopped at a little street vendor and ordered crepes. Mine was filled with  Nutella and it was so good!!


After Norte Dame, we walked to the Louvre. Sadly we did not go in, but the outside was still very cool! I did the typical touristy pyramid picture.



















We continued walking to the Arc De Triomphe.  With cars racing around the momument, we walked underground through a tunnel and up into the center of the arc.  Then, we headed off to spend our evening at the Eiffel Tower! The Eiffel Tower was absolutely amazing. It was a lot bigger in person than I thought it was going to be. We all grabbed a fresh baguette, some cheese, and champagne to enjoy.  We sat on the grass in front of the Eiffel Tower for four hours to wait for the light show that happens every night at 11. It was a great way to end the night!







 On Sunday we got up early and headed to the Catacombs in Paris! This was one of my favorite things I have done in Europe. This reminded me of my freshman year of high school when we read Cask of Amontillado in Coach Cooper's English class. It was a little creepy but very interesting at the same time!















We finished our Paris trip with a visit to the Shakespeare and Company bookstore. I was in heaven! This is the bookstore originally opened at a different location in 1919 but closed during the Nazis occupation of France.  It is where many great authors such as F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Ezra Pound, and Gertrude Stein would go to write and converse. This was recommended to me by one of my sorority sister's Wynne. I am so glad we went because it was exactly the type of little independent bookstore I love.  I even picked myself up a nice copy of The Great Gatsby and some of F. Scott Fitzgerald's short stories to read on my family vacation later this summer.













While our trip did not get off to the best start, it ended very well and I am so glad I went! This weekend I am off to Dublin, Ireland with my friend Brandon and another one of our traveling buddies, Mary! Once there, we are going to be met by best friend from high school, Amy, and some other friends from BSU. I cannot believe that I only have two and a half weeks left here. I am definitely going to make the best of it and enjoy my time here. Cheers until next time!









Also Happy Father's Day to the best Dad ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment